Thursday, December 25, 2008

Darth Vader's TIE Fighter (#8017)


My sister somehow found this one before it was released today and gave it to me for Christmas. I imagine some dark alley meeting late at night, using her legal connections for blackmail or extortion...

Anyhow, I don't really care how she found it. I'm really happy with the design. It fixed a lot of what I felt were shortcomings on the original design.

First, I'm so glad they moved away from the black and blue color scheme. Darth Vader's chest piece has a slightly new design as well.


Second, the cockpit swings open for easier access, and it is easier to get Vader in and out. I think the hinge mechanism they used for this one is a lot better than the old style.


Third, a clip to hold the lightsaber. It doesn't get in the way like Grievous' clip does on his starfighter.


And finally, better detailing on the rear section. There are also little tabs on the back to launch the flick-fire missiles (which surprisingly get a pretty good range on them).

The set is a bit bigger than the old version and is lighter as well. It was an easy build and holds up well to aggressive aerial maneuvers.

No comments: