Friday, January 4, 2013

A-Wing Fighter (#75003)

My first set of the Winter 2013 line-up, the 4th version of the A-Wing fighter.And yes, I've had them all. In 2000, #7134 was the first version, 2006 brought #6207, and 2009 gave us our third A-Wing as part of #7754.

Because I tend to upgrade the previous models when the new ones come out, I'll have to compare #4 to the Home One version. If you have either of the first two versions, it's time to upgrade. If you only have #3, then you can decide (I'd still go for the new one).

Here they are, side by side. The new one is about two studs longer than #3 (which originally also had flick-fire missiles before I replaced them). You'll notice they notched the nose on #4, which is more in-line with the  Episode VI version. The canopy has a bar on the front which allows it to open with a couple of clips, rather than a hinged brick used in the prior models and eliminates the hole in front of the canopy.

The biggest difference in profile is the top fins, which have a bigger slope on the front and are rounded on the back. I don't really mind the flick-fire missiles, but the side guns are supposed to rotate according to ship specs, so I think I'll replace them.

A view from behind. The engine doesn't slide out the back like it did on #3, as we'll see in a minute. The thrusters are more movie-accurate on #4 than they were before.

This one comes with three minifigs; Admiral Ackbar, a pilot, and Han Solo. The pilot is great, lots of printed detail on the uniform and the new helmet is straight out of the movie. As for the other two figures?? Don't get me wrong, I like Han, but I just don't get why he's included with this set. And for some reason, the fine folks at Lego decided the good Admiral needed to have a coffee mug. Am I the only one who can picture him saying, "It's a frap(pe)!" ? Yah, probably...

And for those days when you just feel like crashing your A-Wing into the command bridge of a super star destroyer, the pilot has an alternate expression (not to be used lightly).

Here's a shot of the removable engine section. I know, everything you dreamed it would be and more.

So, do I think it's worth the upgrade? Absolutely, it's improved in all the right areas. This one has an incredible "swoosh factor". I challenge anyone to hold it and not start doing aerial combat moves.There are more stickers on this one, the narrow ones for the nose are a little tricky but they shouldn't be too much trouble. This is the A-Wing all the previous models wanted to be. It has a great price-point and is all kinds of fun to play with. A solid 10/10 in my book. 

1 comment:

Gemini said...

A great article comparing these two beauties. I actually started with the 75003, as I found it to be a beautiful model, and are now going backwards, securing 6207 (It looks blocky and charming compared to the latest). Definitively have to go for the Home One version if I can get it. Thank you!