Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Phantom (75048)

This is one of two sets available for the upcoming Star Wars Rebels animated series coming out this fall. If you haven't already, go check out the teasers and trailers for the show, it looks like it could be good. I think there's more mystery and storyline potential between episodes III and IV than there was between II and III.

This is the Phantom. It comes with Ezra Bridger and a spunky little astromech droid C1-10P, or "Chopper".

Ezra comes with a helmet and an alternate expression. Chopper comes with, well... shorter legs.

There's a handy storage area for Ezra's helmet (or hair, depending on what he's wearing) and his blaster.

Chopper fits into the back...

Yes, I know. There's supposed to be a missile on top. Get over it. Unless it's absolutely essential for the stability of the set, I'm not doing it. Anyhow, here it is with the wings deployed.

I'm not sure if it's actually supposed to function as an escape pod in the show, but I suspect this feature won't last very long before I permanently attach the two sections together.

 And now for the scoring...
  • Features: 8/10. It's a small model, what do you expect it to do that it doesn't do right now?
  • Design: 8/10. I don't see why it needs to come apart. And I certainly don't see how that would be an advantage in an emergency. The cockpit module doesn't seem to be enough to sustain life support functions for very long.
  • Price: 4/10. $25 USD for this little gem. Battle packs are cheaper and have more in them. Realistically, it should've been part of the Ghost set (review is coming next). Charge $10 more and make it one set.
  • Minifigs: 7/10. Two unique figures, but you can't help but feel robbed slightly when you pay for the set. Fortunately I had Lego VIP points and the set only cost me $10. Throw in another storm trooper just to make us feel a little better.
  • Overall Score: 6.75/10. By itself, there's not much you can do with this one. If you have the Ghost, you really need to get the Phantom to go along with it. As I said before, it should've been included as part of the Ghost set.

No comments: