Thursday, August 1, 2013

Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (#75015)

The new Summer 2013 sets are out, bringing another version of the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid. While most memorable from the Episode III battles on Kashyyyk, it did make a couple of brief appearances on Geonosis in Episode II.

The set comes with three minifigs: a dark brown battle droid, clone trooper, and Jango Fett. I guess Lego figured they could cut back on one minifig (compared to 7748) by throwing in an updated Jango. This is only the second set to ever feature him (the first being Jango's Slave I).

The original Jango minifig has been selling for upwards of $50 on sites like eBay and Bricklink. If you think a little plastic figure is worth that much, have at it. I'm not here to judge. Personally, I like this version much better... printed legs, better chest design, updated face, separate helmet and jet pack...

Here are the two versions side-by-side for comparison. There really isn't anything that jumps out and says, "Wow! This new feature is totally worth the upgrade!" I like the rods they added to the rear and the subtle changes to the "feet" on each side.

Front view... 75015 is slightly taller. Ooooh.... Ahhhhh....  I don't know if I can't count to 60, or I lack the fine motor skills required, but I had to add one more track segment to get it to connect. Fortunately they include a couple of extras.

Another side view with a better angle of the updates. There are two side guns and a flick fire missile where on the last one there were only two guns and one of them doubled as a flick fire. I know what you're thinking... "That alone is worth the sticker price!" Well, you're preaching to the choir.

Anyhow, this is a nice little army builder set. I'm a big fan of the new Jango Fett minifig (still could've thrown in another clone trooper). If your CIS troops are outnumbered, this will help restore a little balance.

No comments: