Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Millennium Falcon (#7965)

Thanks to a Christmas gift card, I was able to buy the updated Millennium Falcon through the Best Buy website. Who knew they sold Lego?? Anyhow... I wasn't sure about this one because I already had the previous version and couldn't justify paying full price for a few little changes. But, it was a whole different story when I got free shipping and the gift card paid for over half the cost.

Here are the two versions together. 4504 is the 2nd edition, and 7965 is #3. You'll have to check out my review for 4504 because I've "made a few modifications myself" and updated a few features. #3 is slightly larger (and more stable) than the old one.

Here's everyone posing for photos. The set comes with Obi-Wan, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Luke, and Darth Vader (who, to my knowledge has never been on the Falcon). This one is apparently the Episode IV Falcon where #4504 was Episode V.

Leia and Luke both have alternate expressions. Leia brings her angry face while Luke has his blast shield for lightsaber training.

There's a smuggling compartment on this version, perfect for spice or anything else you want to keep away from Imperial entanglements. Not sure why Leia got the short straw, but she's gets to hide out for a while. The one drawback is that it's hard to get the figure back out of the compartment, at least for me. Maybe it's just my big fingers... Chewie is sitting at the holochess table. I really like the interior on this one more than 4504. This one is more open and allows for better playability. Taking out the escape pod (which was never in the movie anyway) was a very good move.

Luke can practice with the training remote now. There are clips on the center console for his and Obi-wan's lightsabers. Unfortunately, there isn't any storage for the three blasters and Chewie's crossbow, which seems like a bit of an oversight. It's not like they don't have the room, I may have to put in a few clips for that. The hyperdrive engine isn't labeled on this version like it was on 4504, but I think we can all figure out where it is.

The gun chairs now seat two for the top and bottom turrets. It slides in very nicely and is held in place so it doesn't rattle around...

...then the turret goes back on over top. The sensor dish is done very nicely on this one too.

The underside... Not much to look at, but she's got it where it counts. The frame is much stronger than 4504 was, even though it doesn't look pretty. Flick-fire missiles on either side, the landing gear aren't as fragile, and it's nice to have the turret on the bottom too.

Front view...

Rear view...

And finally, Darth insisted on a family photo with the kids.

 So, like I said before, there's no way I would've bought this one after already having 4504 if I had to pay full price, no matter how much it has been improved. However, if I didn't have an earlier version I would've been all over this one a long time ago. It looks great on the shelf and, more importantly, it's wicked fun to play with.

4 comments:

ariel said...

hi Gary, i love your blog (kind of envy it) mainly because of the modification freedom in order to make the models mor accurate to "real live"
can i suggest you to get 7752 count dooku´s solar sailer? or just suggest a a good modification for it?
thanks.
ariel

Unknown said...

Thanks Ariel! I'll see if I can find that one on Bricklink.

Anonymous said...

What are the dimensions when completed for transportation reasons

Unknown said...

Rough dimensions (and I stress "rough"): 6"h x 19"l x 15"w