Monday, February 14, 2011

8037 - Y-Wing (modified)

Finally!! After weeks of delays that came after I'd get a Bricklink order in, only to realize I had missed a few critical pieces (ordered the wrong piece once too), it's finally done! I started working on the red Y-Wing variant back in November and got the final parts shipment today. I used some screen shots from Clone Wars as a basis for the coloring, but ran into a couple of glitches when Lego doesn't make the parts I needed in the right colors, so this is as close as I could get...

I didn't add any special features not found in the original, this one is the same as 8037, just with different colors. I wanted to go with dark red, but hardly any of the pieces were available in that color. I borrowed the Republic emblem stickers from the Clone Walker Battlepack set for the engine pods.

I used Commander Fox as the pilot (from #7681). He wasn't doing anything at the time, and he matches the color scheme.

Here's a crew photo... Commander Fox, a clone gunner, and a generic astromech droid (the body from the new V-Wing set, the head from the old V-Wing).

Weapon storage compartment... The white domes on the end of the engine pods are supposed to be red, but Lego doesn't make them in that color.

Rear-view... Feel free to oooh and aaaah.

Here are the two versions together... Missile launchers removed from both (well, technically the red one never had the launcher).

Now I just have to find a place to put it until I put up the new shelf. I'm quickly running out of parking spaces...

No comments: