Monday, March 29, 2010

Clone Wars Y-Wing (#8037)

Hi, my name is Gary and I've been a Star Wars Lego addict for ten years now. This isn't really news to most of you, but there are probably a couple out there who may not know already. My latest acquisition? Anakin's Y-Wing fighter from Clone Wars. I should take a moment to thank Bricklink for being such a great enabler... I love that I can buy the sets from the US, pay to have them shipped to Canada, and after exchange and duty it's still cheaper than buying them off the shelf here.


I don't know what it is about the Y-Wing, but I really like it. It has a very good "swoosh factor" for playing...


But wait, that's not Anakin. How can this be Anakin's Y-Wing and not have Anakin?? I was getting tired of having so many Anakin's and Ahsoka's (Jedi starfighters for each of them, as well as the AT-TE, and it looks like they're both included in the upcoming August release of the Clone Wars Turbo Tank set...), so I decided to mix it up a bit by using a clone pilot and trooper instead. I had to modify the cockpit to make room for the pilot (his helmet is bigger than Anakin's hair, so the canopy wouldn't close without making a few changes first).


I like the Clone Wars R2-D2 much better than the old version.


Even comes with a nice little storage compartment in the rear for weapons.


It's supposed to have a spring loaded missile on the bottom (pull back on R2 to launch), but since I don't like the missiles I took it out. I'm just happy they didn't try to put in the little "bombs" like they did for the original trilogy Y-Wing.

Rear view. Not much to see from this angle.
There have been a couple of Clone Wars episodes which showed red Y-Wings, so if I get ambitious I may look into making a red variant.

No comments: